Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cultural Post relating to Final Project

http://www.vancouversun.com/Entertainment/Vancouver+woman+Bachelorette/1353263/story.html

I wrote my final piece about the television show The Bachelor. I focused on the lack of success that the show has in helping people find love. The 13th season of the show just ended on Monday night, Jason picked Melissa and then 6 weeks later broke up with her on tv and got together with Molly, the girl he dumped on the show for Melissa. Sounds screwed up right?

Well the entire show is screwed up, and that was the point behind my paper. What I really wanted to say was that the people who go on the show are absolutely mental for putting themselves through 8 weeks of competing for a man. The article that I have a link to, did not help me write my paper, but I thought that it related to what I wrote about. The article announces that the 5th season of The Bachelor's spin-off The Bachelorette had been picked. And guess what, it was one of the girls that had competed on this past season of the Bachelor. She was one of the final three women, and clearly had so much fun being hurt by Jason, she wants to have others experience that pain as well.

It reminds me of Jason, who was passed over on the last season of The Bachelorette. He talked about how hurt he was because he had fallen in love with her. I don't know statistically, but I think that if you get your heart broken, and then turn around and do it to not one, but two people that you suppossedly care about, that makes you mean. Why then does America label Jason as a "good guy"? I can't tell you, because I think that all the people who participate on this show ask for whatever they get, and statistically, that means being hurt and alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment