After reading The Elements of Style, I discovered that there are a lot of things to learn about writing. It's not good enough to simply sit down and put your thoughts on paper in any fashion. Technique and style play a huge part in forming a wonderful composition.
Most importantly, I learned that my own writing lacks adequate style. In my writing, I would like to incorporate some of the things that I learned. I would like to become more confident in my writing, and to do that I will have to become more clear in my writing. As it is stated in the book, it is best not to fight your way through syntax. I struggle with this often; I tend to rush through my writing instead of taking the time to make everything clear and concise when appropriate.
Another thing I would like to improve on is reminder 11 from the book, Do not explain too much. Especially in my reviews I like to over tell the plot in an attempt to provide evidence for my arguments. I have been working on this technique, but I have not found that happy medium yet. I will continue to work on it though, and tr not to get too frustrated, because like all things it takes practice and patience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
These are some terrific insights!
ReplyDelete