Thursday, February 26, 2009

Final Project Proposal

For my final assignment I will be taking a look into the social and cultural aspects of shows that depict love as a game. I will be looking into television shows such as ABC’s The Bachelor and The Bachelorette as well as MTV’s Shot at Love and Double Shot at Love.

My analysis will highlight the seriousness of portraying the ability to pick “true love” out of a pool of 30 people. It will also cover the naïveté of the people who participate in the shows. As well as showing the effects of the show on the viewers and the way our culture views love and marriage.

I am considering bringing in shows such as MTV’s Newlyweds to help testify to the cultural outlook, and the number of unhappy couples that come out of these shows. In spite of being a popular genre of entertainment, I will be criticizing the values it teaches its young audience. For example, on Shot at Love, the participants are all forced to sleep together in the same bad at night, and then in the morning are competing with each other for a one on one date with the girl of interest who always looks like she just stepped out of a “Playboy” shoot. I will wrap everything together with the rate of divorce in this country and how shows like this impact that rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment